Story 13Aprl2022: End of Chemo

Going backward, I made it to bed at about 2AM. I was nauseated, so I stayed up. I had taken my last chemotherapy meds a bit early, hoping I could sleep better, but the nausea was worse. So I found a demo of how to play the new solo board game: Nemo’s War. Next week, I have the game coming with all the expansions from a Kickstarter that I supported. It is late, as shipping costs and logistics have become nearly impossible in a Covid-19 world.

I am looking forward to trying out Nemo’s War. It is the 2nd edition, and I find games that can pull off a 2nd edition and a Kickstarter are good games. The changes are improvements, and the popularity that made a Kickstarter possible strongly suggests an excellent game.

Before this, I baked another item from the Celtic cookbook, Irish Soda Bread. Now, this is a heavy rustic, tasting bread. It is just flour, baking powder, and buttermilk. I mix in buttermilk powder and add water instead of fresh, yuk, buttermilk. My bread did not rise much and is heavy, but it is still OK.

Moving back in the day, I made dinner. I got out the frozen salmon I purchased at Wholefoods and tater tots and heated up the oven. The salmon is already cooked. I defrosted it for about 2 minutes in the microwave, adding some seasoning and setting it aside. I baked the tater tots with blackening seasoning at 450 and put in the salmon in the last 8 minutes. It all turned out fine.

I ate dinner while watching the third episode of Moon Knight on Disney+. I was surprised by how far this left behind the previous episodes with now having Gods and magic everywhere. The grittiness was gone, and instead, it could have been animated as it seemed just pages from a comic book. I was also tired and will watch it again. There was no change in recommendation, but the show returned to its comic book roots.

Moving to the early evening and afternoon, I sat on the floor, sorted all the papers, and found most of my receipts for charitable giving. I have terrible anemia from the chemotherapy (it works) and cannot get my head below my chest. I missed one, but that was not an issue as I gave monthly. I also had no records for stuff I gave to Goodwill–I will be more careful in 2022. I managed to find enough to finish my taxes. I also had Corwin throw out the extra papers when he got home.

On taxes, the giving only reduces my state taxes as Mr. Trump fixed it so I would never get any tax credit for all the taxes, medical expenses, and interest I pay. Mr. Biden now will receive a windfall from me, but Mr. Trump’s tax cuts made this so expensive. But, he knew where the money was and did exactly what was promised–he raised taxes on people in high tax states with mortgages. So, while I begrudge the payment, I appreciate the accuracy of his policies.

Oregon has a unique tax process; I am sure you are not a surprised reader. Oregon makes a two-year budget for expenses and income. If the taxes return too much money, the money is returned to the people, called The Kicker. The Kicker this year is outstanding. All of my underpayment of Oregon taxes was covered by my Kicker payment. After that, I had three dollars left and donated that to the Oregon Aquarium. Again, Oregon provides many convenient ways to give back the money to support schools and organizations like the really cool Oregon Aquarium on the coast. I usually have a larger refund and give a few hundred bucks away. Often the Kicker pays for my federal tax bill, but not this year.

Besides Mr. Trump’s successful harvesting plan by raising taxes in mostly democratic states (again, I don’t like it but it was well targeted), the high tax bill is caused by the sale of stock. This had to be done to cover medical expenses and my unexpected expenses in New York City when we were stranded there for five weeks. I also made a profit of over $5000 in my investments (long-term gains, so they were at the lower tax rate, at least). I sold them to pay off the Volvo, before all the new medical adventures. So it is time to pay the piper.

Moving to the late afternoon, I left Susie at about 3:30ish with a kiss. She was tired when I got there; she had been busy in the morning and fell asleep again. I worked earlier with the head nurse Pre to get the United Health Care (UHC) and the Forest Grove Rehab and Care Center at 3900 Pacific Highway, Room 44A, to work together. Pre and I actually did a call to UHC and tried to create a new case for Susie, but Pre is not the admin and did not know all the required information. I again wrote a note to Julie to get this started; she was not in on Wednesday.

Without issue, I got to the facility and learned that nothing had gone forward with getting Susie some rehab services. The doctor had done the referral. I called UHC and discovered the facility needed to open a new case for Susie and that they could accelerate it. Susie was happy to see me, and we called Leta, Susie’s mom, on FaceTime.

Before getting to Forest Grove, I spent the morning going slow. The 14 days of chemotherapy were crushing me, and the anemia was also dragging at me. Nausea is familiar, and so are the stars I see if I stand too soon or lean over. So I am careful and move slower than I like to ensure no sudden dizziness or loss of conciseness. It would ruin my day to wake up in ER!

I start the morning a bit happier and ready for the day. It is the last day of chemotherapy. I feel terrible and rejoice in it. This feeling will fade after today. Cancer will be in the rear window as I fly Air Volvo into the future.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s