Today 3Jan2023: Back to Work 2023

Today I started at 6AM and did all my excises except riding the stationary bike first thing this morning. I then read my emails, texts, and Slack messages for home and work. I was rushed as I had to be at work at 8AM. I was doing OK initially, but my Nike work account was locked. I had let the password expire, which can only be reset when directly attached to a Nike network. So I closed my work laptop and finished getting dressed.

I had yogurt and a banana for breakfast with liberal coffee that I then put in a travel cup. I managed to find one school bus on the way in, but the traffic was light, and the buses had not quite flooded the areas, so I made good time.

I cleared all the locks on my Nike laptop in twenty minutes of frustrating logging and re-logging as the password change filtered through the Nike network and my Nike iPhone. It took four tries to get the laptop to get the password changed and usable. I did make my Zoom meetings starting at 8:30.

I wear a mask at work, but usually only in small rooms. I am less worried about Covid-19, but RSV and all those particular colds and flu versions I just don’t need. I wash my hands often. I also remember my physical therapy request to stand up every thirty minutes.

Work was a lot of remembering what we do, what we need to do today, and what is upcoming. There were lots of “Happy New Year,” and folks were happy to see each other. After years of pandemic isolation, it is always good to see people!

I headed to Susie’s place in Portland (Tigard), the hummingbird house. The traffic was light, and I witnessed no imaginative driving. When I arrived, Susie was still eating her breakfast. Jennifer, the live-in nursing aide, said Susie was tired and started later.

Susie was delighted to see me, and I sat at the dining table while she had her breakfast. Susie was able to feed herself today. While her freshly made oatmeal cooled, we called Susie’s mother, Leta, and chatted with her for a bit. I held the phone while they chatted and answered many of Leta’s queries. Susie continued to eat. Leta rang off after a bit, and I had to leave as it was a work day. Susie was a bit distressed that my visit was short, but it is what I can manage on a workday.

Susie’s Orchids from The Smiths (plus Jason).

I returned to work after getting a Carl’s Jr. Western burger, a guilty pleasure and listened to Oregon Public Broadcasting on Air Volvo’s radio while eating. They interviewed the gal in charge of the new paid-leave program in Oregon. Anyone working for a usual employee (not Federal or self-employed) now, starting October, gets paid leave. Having been on paid leave for my cancer treatments and caring for Susie from Nike, I am a supporter of giving this same benefit to everyone. The tax is 1%, and I hope it is enough to help folks.

After listening to the radio and eating my burger, I returned to the shoe company and did some admin work for myself and others. I followed along and tried to get back into the flow of things. I left at 3ish and then logged back in at the house in my office there.

After 5ish, I called Rev. Anne Weld-Martin and checked in–her husband is moving from the hospital to a rehabilitation program at a yet-to-be-determined facility. I offered to meet her a Matzalan for Mexican food at the nearby strip mall. She was delighted with a chance to dine out with a friend.

We met at 6:30ish, with me getting their first and enjoying a large margarita (on the rocks with salt) with chips and salsa. We both ordered a Chili Relleno and an enchilada (mine cheese, and her’s meat). We shared a scoop of ice cream for dessert.

Rev. Anne and I talked about the current political kerfuffle in Washington, the Speaker of the House was not elected on the first vote (that has not happened since 1923). We also chatted about how God is not found in the experience but really in the written word and the spoken word. What makes us human, at least what I believe, is writing and reading–we transmit words into the future by writing them and copying them. Anne reminded me that God was not in the wind or the mountain but in the quiet voice. It was a fun chat.

We had a delightful dinner, and we both headed off to do our tasks, me to write this blog and Anne to get some music ready.

Thanks for reading.

And for those who wonder what is wrong with the USA: Goof Gas.

Allegiance Senior Care

Adult Foster Care Home

9925 SW 82nd. Ave.

Portland, Oregon 97223

The house phone number: (503) 246-4116

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s