Day 7: Sunday Phase 1

We complete our first week in Washington County, Oregon, under phase 1. Today I did not visit any establishments or travel outside of the house. I had Safeway deliver some groceries; now that wearing a mask and being careful is a political statement, I am uneasy to shop in more public places like my local grocery stores. I feel more prisoner of the virus than before.

I awoke way too early. My ears plugged, and my allergies in full diving mode. I feel like I am underwater. I could not sleep, and so I was up on a Sunday at 6AM, ugh! I felt ill all day as the lack of sleep, asthma, allergies, and total frustration with the world fell hard on me today.

I also followed along on email for work. We have developers working all weekend, and they have managed to write a fix we needed this Monday.

Groceries showed up at 9 this morning delivered by DoorDash via Only the ground lamb was out today. New York Strips, pork shoulder, coco for a cake, potatoes, instant oatmeal with brown sugar, yogurt, corn chips, pretzels, and so on were all delivered this morning.

As you can imagine, I tried to take it easy and binge-watch some shows, I am up-to-date on “Deadliest Catch” and have seen more Alaska gold shows now. I managed to relax a bit.

Lunch was hot dogs with the end of sauerkraut from Olympia Provisions and some chips. I might have to order again from Olympia Provisions–it is high quality and long-lasting. Corwin was out, and Susie was up late today–so lunch was just me. Dinner was microwaved leftover lasagna and for Susie was breakfast.

Finally, I returned to the 1/700 scale model of the Titanic with the lighting built-in. I had to feel better as you cannot become impatient at this scale–you will break things.

Model builds are always strange as you seem to spend forever preparing and painting. I had to paint everything that is made of white color plastic well white primer. I find the white plastic is too shinny and does not match the paint color so I paint it. I paint it on the trees as I can now touch up any with paint. I managed to get the decks all white that is made of brown plastic. This is a no-paint model and so the model has any part that has a wood deck made of light-brown plastic–Usually, Titanic models are all white. But, the kit has the side hull shafts for the large propellers in black while the hull is a perfect rust-red color. Not sure why they did that and means I have to paint the hull or try to match the shade for the shafts. So hours later, everything was now white and ready for work.

I finally started on the roof for the wireless room, captain’s quarters, gym, and grand staircase–if I remember correctly the Titanic’s layout. I wanted to practice on one deck, and this is the smallest with some intricate work. First, I have checked the decking fits and it is perfect. I purchased an add-on of a thin wood fiber deck that is laser cut to perfectly fit the model. You don’t paint decks anymore–you adhere to the plastic deck light wood that is cut with fine lines to suggest decking and other items. This is one of the new things you can get now from the Internet.

Next, I began on one of those long preparation steps. I gave purchased photo-etched brass replacement parts for this model, and they come as small sheets are about twice the size of a credit card and are fragile and flat. I washed the sheet with alcohol, dried it, painted it with two thin coats of light white primer on each side. Yes, that is four spray painting jobs.

Once all that was done, I then cut the dome of the grand staircase (you can click on that for the pictures of the original) brass attached to the roof piece. It is a bit recessed as I wanted a bit more space for it to make it a bit more splendid. I managed to scratch the paint as often happens with metal tweezers. I just will touch up the paint as the primer white easily lets me hide the scratches. This is all done within a tiny scale, the dome is smaller than an American dime, and I am wearing 3x bifocal safety glasses.

The next item is the small building that covers the dome on the Titanic. On the original ship, this building was to keep the seawater and weather off the dome. The model had one molded into the deck. The instructions had me cut it out, and that is the hole the dome brass piece is now filling. I cut out the brass and then use my brass bending equipment: specially made tiny vice and a straight blade. I manage to assemble it and hold it together with G-S Hypo Cement. This is a product for jewelry and watch crystals. It hardens slowly but holds quickly and once dry is strong. It works on metal, glass, and plastic.


I have set it on the Titanic model setup with just the desk sitting on the hull.


I stopped there as I was happy to get that far, and I had chores to finish—dishes, laundry, blogging, and preparing for online Dungeon and Dragons on Monday night.

I will put on the railing next that follows the white edge that stands out now.

I watched little news as I was not feeling that well.

The reports show that the death rate for today fell to just over three hundred from the virus, including one death from Oregon. The active infection cases rate is again increasing. I went with a short hymn of the navy for today: Eternal Father, Strong to Save (The Navy Hymn).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s