Story 21April2022: Thursday Busy

My day started at 6:30 with my iPhone waking me from a dream I don’t remember. I was up and making coffee in a few minutes. I read my emails and started on the blog, which often takes 90 minutes to write. I wrote until about mid-morning. Glenda, Susie’s Aunt, cleaned and organized all morning while I wrote and got ready. The kitchen is cleaner, Glenda also cleared the floors, and we collected another set of books to take to Goodwill.

We headed off before lunch and gave away two boxes full of books when we had Air Volvo make a stop at Goodwill. These are primarily hardcovers and other books Jan’s Paperback would not usually take.

We reached the Forest Grove Rehab and Care Canter, Room 44A, located at 3900 Pacific Highway, with only witnessing a few interesting extra-legal lane changes from our fellow drivers. After passing the screening, we found Susie was sitting up in the wheelchair at the tables near the nurses’ station. She was not happy as she was alone and had been ignored for the morning, but she was delighted to see us.

I left Glenda to talk to Susie while I spoke to the admin folks at the facility. They were sending in the required evaluations for Susie to United Health Care (UHC), so they could do rehab for her. They had completed the paperwork and hoped to get a decision from UHC on Friday. From what I was told by the customer care folks at UHC, we can have one new case of rehab per calendar year, according to UHC. So since our last case was in November, and we went on private pay before the year changed, we can do the same rehab again.

Aside (rant): For those who think your employer should purchase your insurance because they will get a better deal and give you better coverage, please have only one medical emergency per year. That is all you are allowed by most employer-purchased health care plans. Also, ranting, the idea that corporations will operate in the employees’ best interest is inconsistent with the fact that according to all reading I have done, a corporation only owes allegiance to the stockholders.

I returned and called Susie’s mother, Leta, on the iPhone, and they chatted for a while on Facetime. We then found a medical person wanting to evaluate Susie, so we decided it best to leave at that time and not be a distraction. I have found it best for me to be out of the room when they do these evaluations, as Susie then looks to me to answer for her. I also find it nearly impossible to keep my face and body language neutral when she passes or fails a test. I just need to leave.

We headed for the long drive to Woodburn to see the Tulip Festival at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm. They were open this year, and the tulips were still good. The tulips start to fade here in Oregon after April. We stopped at Carl’s Jr., had burgers for lunch, and ate them in the car. I then started the two-hour drive, with traffic, to Woodburn.

It is Thursday and the worst day for traffic–all companies with return-to-work office hours have folks there on Thursday, and nobody takes off Thursday. Thus we spent time in stop and go on 217 after crossing back over Beaverton.

We finally broke away from the traffic when we connected to US 5, the main road from Mexico to Canada on the West Coast (much like 95 on the East Coast). In the USA, odd-numbered roads run sort of North to South and even numbers East to West. We then drove, again in some stop-and-go traffic in the city of Woodburn after leaving US 5. We finally found rural Oregon, and when the Cascade Mountains were in clear view, we reached the tulip fields. We were 35 minutes passed our ticketed time, but that was not an issue. You must have a ticket before you reach the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm, and there are even a few signs with scan codes to buy them before you reach the farm. There is no means to get a ticket at the festival.

We walked the fields and enjoyed the country air and the bright colors. For the festival, and according to the vendors, today would be a great day. There were no winds and no snow or hail. It was raining, and we did hide under one of the tents when the rains hit hard. We took the tractor ride out to the center of the fields instead of walking. It was too far for me still. It was a cloudy day with intermediate rain and Oregon mist, but no winds and side-ways rain.

We purchased a glass of the local white sweet wine; surprisingly, the tulip farm has its own label of wine! Next, we got two sets of flowers, one to take home and another for Susie. I had to replace my catalog of bulbs to purchase; my first was lost when I used the chemical toilet–impossible to recover. Oops.

We returned with less traffic until we hit, again, 217, with stop and go. We got off early and drove across Beaverton to practice what the new commute would be like with Susie must in Tigard off of Hall street. The drive was fine and familiar without the traffic jam.

We reached home and then made dinner. We had one more kit from Blue Apron, and it was aging, so we needed to cook it. So Glenda and I made Sheet Pan Pimento Cheese Chicken, skipping the peppers for Glenda. It was not bad.

Glenda and I rested and chatted, finally heading to bed at about 10:30. I read for a bit but fell asleep for the first time in months before midnight and slept until my alarm.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s